FAQ  •  Advanced search  •  Login

Serious talk about the Swastika

<<

Flipper

Ray
Ray

Post 03.02.2013, 08:58

Serious talk about the Swastika

Trust me when I say I don't mean to be offensive about this.
Naturally, there is a large demographic of Germans on this game so the perspective is rather different than what I know.
(I'll share a story about the word "Nigger" I had with a black man from Barbados if there is interest to illustrate how things change over distance and time).

Here in America, the swastika, is an offensive symbol, but I have yet to see it addressed in any game. Especially in the way it was recently referred to in a recent map submission. Trust me, I am not advocating for its use, but more of a curious nature of how prevalent it still is in the German society. It's use is limited to a small group of skinheads and Aryan nation fanatics here in America ( at least in my neck of the woods). It's use is relatively non-existent. Occasionally a Jewish Temple may get vandalized with a swastika, ,and it is so noteworthy that it actually makes the local news.

Like I said, I am curious about it's usage in Germany (not the condoning of it).

Sponsor

Post 03.02.2013, 08:58

Re: Serious talk about the Swastika

<<

aleqqqs

Racing Mamba
Racing Mamba

Post 03.02.2013, 12:19

its use for propaganda reasons is prohibited.

look, i just found it on the keyboard: 卐 :D
lets all sue creeptd, for this forum provides a swastika char ;)

well, in germany its used by 2 kinds of people.
- neo nazis
- trolling teenagers who draw it on walls they come by

however, in creeptd, there seem to be some hyper sensitive guys who look out for anything that could just remotely look like a swastika or ss runes :D
<<

Pezinator

Express Raptor
Express Raptor

Post 03.02.2013, 14:51

i have to say that the whole situation and the ehole discussion is bullshit! And nothing more!

yeah that was a really bad time and you shouldn't actually make a map that looks a swastika! But as Aleqqqs said some crazy people seem to search for them everywhere!

May I tell you something: We don't want to talk about them, nor have them in the forum or in maps! But discussing about them and mentioning them in every thread will not make them vanish!!!
"Have no fear of perfection; you'll never reach it."
<<

Flipper

Ray
Ray

Post 03.02.2013, 18:50

Fair enough, I wasn't trying to perpetuate anything. I was simply trying to enlighten myself.

Like I had said, I know that there is an obvious level of sensitivity about them. What my curiosity was about was the prevalence of them in today's German society.

Wiki simply puts out that there is a rather strict banning of it in almost every form in Europe. And there are some strict fines in some countries.

Perhaps the searching out of "possible symbols" it is not so much being overly sensitive, but rather a way of helping dcode from being hit with a major fine.

And like said above by Penz, showing some tact and respect by not propagating them on purpose is the right thing to do.
I, for one, do not support what the Nazis did or stood for. But I do have the luxury of a) not growing up in Europe b) not Jewish and c) too young to have been affected by the war directly. As a result I am a bit removed from the whole situation. I was simply asking a question from a anthropological standpoint. I did not want to open a Pandora's box.
Thanks for your responses.

Return to Off-Topic