Not logged in
FAQ  •  Advanced search  •  Login

[added] Restricted 32x16

Moderator: Map Officer

<<

domitmn

Ray
Ray

Posts: 110

Joined: 29.12.2011, 14:50

Post 04.06.2012, 13:22

[added] Restricted 32x16

Path: 72 steps

Red = Blocked Areas

Start on the left - end at the right side.

restricted.jpg
restricted.jpg (160.03 KiB) Viewed 19900 times


4Player View:
[spoiler]
restricted_fullscreen.jpg
restricted_fullscreen.jpg (307.47 KiB) Viewed 19900 times
[/spoiler]


Version 2:
restricted_simpelgrid.jpg
restricted_simpelgrid.jpg (90.54 KiB) Viewed 19664 times


Version 2 - 4 Player:
[spoiler]
restricted_simpelgrid_4p.jpg
restricted_simpelgrid_4p.jpg (181.95 KiB) Viewed 19663 times
[/spoiler]
Attachments
restricted.map.txt
(825 Bytes) Downloaded 386 times
Last edited by domitmn on 16.06.2012, 11:06, edited 2 times in total.

Sponsor

Post 04.06.2012, 13:22

Re: [added] Restricted 32x16

<<

Pezinator

User avatar

Express Raptor
Express Raptor

Posts: 1254

Joined: 11.03.2012, 20:27

Post 04.06.2012, 15:59

Re: Restricted 32x16

I like the idea, but i would change some things: First of all, you should delet all the x because at the beginning I thought all fields with x are blocked. That's a bit disturbing. Secondly, wouldn't it be a nice idea, to make this blocked spots all of the map? I think it would be quite a challenge to play the map then, but we haven't got such a map jet
"Have no fear of perfection; you'll never reach it."
<<

domitmn

Ray
Ray

Posts: 110

Joined: 29.12.2011, 14:50

Post 04.06.2012, 16:06

Re: Restricted 32x16

I believe you will realize soon enough that you can build on the X - I wanted to get away from the standard grid and think it's just a first shock - you will get over it soon enough :D

As for the blocked areas: I though of adding some more, too, but the path is already quite short,
and it would be to hard and too resticted at the beginning :)
<<

Pezinator

User avatar

Express Raptor
Express Raptor

Posts: 1254

Joined: 11.03.2012, 20:27

Post 04.06.2012, 16:11

Re: Restricted 32x16

We'll see what the others say about the X. To the blocked areas. Yeah you're definitely right. But it would be a good map for better player then. Most of all, it would be a map for short games. Up to now, there is only one coop map that normally takes less than 15 minutes to play and that is longspeedvec. This map could be a good alternative.
"Have no fear of perfection; you'll never reach it."
<<

dcode

User avatar

Mothership
Mothership

Posts: 2202

Joined: 09.07.2011, 00:59

Post 04.06.2012, 17:18

Re: Restricted 32x16

I am unsure about the Xs. On the one hand it looks good the way you designed it, on the other hand such Xs are also used in the map editor to mark blocked spots. Maybe you've an idea how to overcome this? :)
Think it, design it, build it, run it. That's what I do.
<<

domitmn

Ray
Ray

Posts: 110

Joined: 29.12.2011, 14:50

Post 04.06.2012, 17:28

Re: Restricted 32x16

I have a little trust in the intelligence of Creep TD players - after one try you will get the principle of the map.

As this is a coop map only one of two players should find out soon enough :D
<<

ALT

Big Toucan
Big Toucan

Posts: 215

Joined: 12.03.2012, 12:23

Post 04.06.2012, 23:56

Re: Restricted 32x16

WTF... those X's look like everything is blocked, except those red areas. instead of marking them as red, you could as well mark them just empty AKA black AKA the path color.
<<

Fist

Mako
Mako

Posts: 21

Joined: 27.05.2012, 21:25

Post 05.06.2012, 09:41

Re: Restricted 32x16

I didn't think they're blocked for a second.
Nice map imo.
<<

ALT

Big Toucan
Big Toucan

Posts: 215

Joined: 12.03.2012, 12:23

Post 05.06.2012, 12:10

Re: Restricted 32x16

Fist wrote:I didn't think they're blocked for a second.
Nice map imo.

i wouldnt either if i didnt look at the map name. X is always used as "blocked" symbol all around the world.
<<

domitmn

Ray
Ray

Posts: 110

Joined: 29.12.2011, 14:50

Post 05.06.2012, 12:58

Re: Restricted 32x16

Treasures are also marked with an 'X' ... so everyone who is afraid of X'es will never find one :D

Thanks @Fist
<<

ALT

Big Toucan
Big Toucan

Posts: 215

Joined: 12.03.2012, 12:23

Post 05.06.2012, 17:07

Re: Restricted 32x16

Why did you mark them as X's? doesnt make any sense!
<<

domitmn

Ray
Ray

Posts: 110

Joined: 29.12.2011, 14:50

Post 05.06.2012, 18:02

Re: Restricted 32x16

domitmn wrote:I wanted to get away from the standard grid


As you might have noticed - if you have read the map forum often enough - there needs to be "some more" / "something" different" in a map to get it accepted, so this time I tried a different grid.

Be a bit more open minded for new ideas...
<<

ALT

Big Toucan
Big Toucan

Posts: 215

Joined: 12.03.2012, 12:23

Post 05.06.2012, 21:32

Re: Restricted 32x16

Yeah, i am open for new ideas, but it is just a bad idea to use something like X icon for something like that purpose, and then naming the map with "restricted" name too, that is just ultra confusion. ask anyone (other than your friends), and they would agree me.

The maps doesnt need anything "some more" / "something different" to be accepted. only thing that matters is the path, if GFX is bad it doesnt mean map is bad (or good). if you break the very basic sense, like you did with the X's, then you are going in the wrong direction. Dont try to make TV screen into a circle just because nobody has done it before, it doesnt mean its a good idea. if you get my point.

However, if those X's were different, almost like a texture of some sort of machine thingy, like 3d'ish look, then it would be ok since there cant be confusion anymore. i think.

(I just hope you never go to Microsoft team, because in the future we would see a mouse cursor that looks exactly like a warning triangle. but hey, we need to be open minded! right? ;))
<<

domitmn

Ray
Ray

Posts: 110

Joined: 29.12.2011, 14:50

Post 05.06.2012, 21:53

Re: Restricted 32x16

:)

OK, I get your point, and no worries I'll never end up at a Microsoft team.
If the map is accepted for the path and the change of the X's to a normal grid is wanted, I'll do so.
But the reason I'm a bit offensive with the X is, that I think, a player will realize it fast enough that X is for building (you have 5 seconds to check where you can build towers at the beginning).

Maybe I'll just rename the map to "X is the building area" :D
<<

Alex1997

Vulture
Vulture

Posts: 379

Joined: 17.08.2011, 11:11

Location: Oberbayern

Post 11.06.2012, 13:17

Re: Restricted 32x16

I think the thing with the Xs would be clearer if you connect the Xs so there would be lines which cross each other, but then the problem appears, that you have to imagine where the grid is...
But i think it would be a possible solution...:)

Greetz, Alex! ;)
<<

domitmn

Ray
Ray

Posts: 110

Joined: 29.12.2011, 14:50

Post 12.06.2012, 14:54

Re: Restricted 32x16

That was my first try - connecting the X to a line - but it looked way more confusing, so I made it this way.

And I don't know how often I have to tell it, but I think after some seconds everyone should realize where you can build and where it's restricted.

I prefer a "X-kind of grid" to no-grid version.
<<

ALT

Big Toucan
Big Toucan

Posts: 215

Joined: 12.03.2012, 12:23

Post 12.06.2012, 21:42

Re: Restricted 32x16

Try with O's?
<<

domitmn

Ray
Ray

Posts: 110

Joined: 29.12.2011, 14:50

Post 13.06.2012, 09:00

Re: Restricted 32x16

Why should I ?
This discussion is useless, I feel like I'm talking to a wall.

You say you are confused by the X because it stands for restricted areas in general - ok, I get that, as I told several times before.
But I don't think you even consider my point: This confusion will only last some seconds and then you will know all places that are build-able from restricted ones, because they are designed totally different here - I promise.
<<

ALT

Big Toucan
Big Toucan

Posts: 215

Joined: 12.03.2012, 12:23

Post 13.06.2012, 09:29

Re: Restricted 32x16

domitmn wrote:Why should I ?

Because they look more logical than X's? its a sign for building spots in many games already!

domitmn wrote:This discussion is useless, I feel like I'm talking to a wall.

I feel im talking to a wall too :)

domitmn wrote:You say you are confused by the X because it stands for restricted areas in general - ok, I get that, as I told several times before.
But I don't think you even consider my point: This confusion will only last some seconds and then you will know all places that are build-able from restricted ones, because they are designed totally different here - I promise.

You could put the warning triangle as mouse cursor too, the confusion lasts only few seconds, right?

You cant re-define the rules of common logic just because you like X's look's on the map. Thats my point!
<<

domitmn

Ray
Ray

Posts: 110

Joined: 29.12.2011, 14:50

Post 13.06.2012, 10:49

Re: Restricted 32x16

restricted_circles.jpg
restricted_circles.jpg (138.15 KiB) Viewed 19709 times


I don't want the world to turn the other way around so here you have a circle-grid.

I hope a circle doesn't remind you of all the restriction signs in traffic that are circle-shaped.


PS: I tried google picture search for "restricted" and couldn't see an X anywhere.
Restricted is always marked RED as in my design ... but whatever
Next

Return to Maps: FUN

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron
© CreepTD.com · Powered by phpBB · Style by ST Software